WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Aunty Shirl's Tomato Relish

My hubby loves his Aunty Shirl's Tomato Relish! I have lots of different pickles that I make...but this one would have to be his favourite.

The photos show a triple batch!....If you multiply the recipe, the vinegar doesn't quite get the same multiplication....I used 2 Litres for this triple batch.

Aunty Shirl's Tomato Relish

3lb Tomatoes (1.5kg)
1lb Brown Onions (450g)
1lb Sugar
1 tablespoon Mustard Powder
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
750 mls Brown Vinegar (Malt Vinegar is lovely too) set aside about 1/4 cup vinegar to mix dry ingredients
Salt & Pepper (not neccessary, I never add this)
Salt to cure (sprinkle over the top, then stir through)


1. Peel the tomatoes by scoring a cross in the top of them, then dropping them in boiling water for roughly 30 seconds. Peel them in batches....but allow to cool slightly as they will  be very hot to handle.


2. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place in a large plastic or ceramic bowl.

3. Peel and roughly chop the onions and add to the tomatoes. Mix thoroughly.




4. Sprinkle the mix with salt...and stir through. Cover and allow to cure overnight.








5. Once cured, drain the tomato and onion (do not rinse), then put in large pot and cover with vinegar.



6. Add the sugar, and gently boil for 1 hour.
Stirring almost constantly.

7. Mix dry ingredients to the left over vinegar then add to the pot.

8. Stir constantly now for 1 hour. Check for a good setting.



9. Sterilise your clean jars by placing them in a hot oven for 20 minutes.









10. Bottle while hot. Ensure that the rim and seal of each jar is very clean using a very hot wet dishcloth. Place lids on immediately.

11. Allow to cool before labelling. Use Title and date.



We love our Aunty Shirl's Tomato Relish! 

You will too!

11 comments:

  1. Very like the one I make except mine has a tablespoon of curry powder and a teaspoon of mustard. I use mine with green tomatoes too if I have them at the end of the season but I'm afraid I don't bother peeling the tomatoes. It gets eaten just the same. I also make it with a teaspoon of ground cloves as well and then blitz it into tomato sauce.

    viv in nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds yummy! just wish my tomatoes would cooperate!!! also, i have to say that i really enjoy your blog, and have been finding other interesting blogs, through your blog listing (bottom left) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a keeper! We are having your pasta sauce on tortellini this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally prefer making (and eating) pickles and relishes rather than jams so will give this a go on the week-end. Will let you know how it goes.

    Cheers, Karen near Gympie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viv: Thanks for the great ideas, Hubby doesn't like the taste of cloves, but everything else is worth trying!

    Archer's Mum: I really only had success with my tiny tomatoes this year....I got these tomatoes cheap though.

    Rose: I hope you enjoyed the pasta sauce, it's definitely a time saver.

    Karen: Good luck with the recipe...I'm sure you will find them yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there!
    I thougt of you during dinner.... I made Kiefer Pancakes! I canned today 30 jars of bell pepper relish. So, even though we are super far apart we are on a good wave together. Looks good.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have described a great tips to keep food fresh. I hope you will publish it regular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Information is great. Please carry on writing these topics. It really impresses me a lot. Wide Bay Cabinet Makers

    ReplyDelete
  9. having a go at this relish ,only one question !!!
    is white sugar used or brown or raw ????
    thanks !!
    Chas,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use white sugar, but since I've been experimenting with less refined ingredients lately, I'd try an.alternative....probably raw sugar......if you use something besides white sugar....come back and let is know how it went.
    I wouldn't use brown sugar though, I think it has lots of additives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...