The photos show a triple batch!....If you multiply the recipe, the vinegar doesn't quite get the same multiplication....I used 2 Litres for this triple batch.
Aunty Shirl's Tomato Relish
3lb Tomatoes (1.5kg)
1lb Brown Onions (450g)
1 tablespoon Mustard Powder
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
750 mls Brown Vinegar (Malt Vinegar is lovely too) set aside about 1/4 cup vinegar to mix dry ingredients
Salt & Pepper (not neccessary, I never add this)
Salt to cure (sprinkle over the top, then stir through)
1. Peel the tomatoes by scoring a cross in the top of them, then dropping them in boiling water for roughly 30 seconds. Peel them in batches....but allow to cool slightly as they will be very hot to handle.
2. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place in a large plastic or ceramic bowl.
3. Peel and roughly chop the onions and add to the tomatoes. Mix thoroughly.
4. Sprinkle the mix with salt...and stir through. Cover and allow to cure overnight.
5. Once cured, drain the tomato and onion (do not rinse), then put in large pot and cover with vinegar.
6. Add the sugar, and gently boil for 1 hour.
Stirring almost constantly.
7. Mix dry ingredients to the left over vinegar then add to the pot.
8. Stir constantly now for 1 hour. Check for a good setting.
9. Sterilise your clean jars by placing them in a hot oven for 20 minutes.
10. Bottle while hot. Ensure that the rim and seal of each jar is very clean using a very hot wet dishcloth. Place lids on immediately.
11. Allow to cool before labelling. Use Title and date.
We love our Aunty Shirl's Tomato Relish!