WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kefir Milk Bread Rolls

After making those lovely Kefir Scones last week....I've been wanting to add Kefir milk to my bread....
not wanting to look around too much, I found a recipe in my bread machines recipe book...called Milk Bread......so that's what I used....


Milk Bread.....for a 1.25kg bread....

450mls Milk   (I used my Kefir Milk here) 
2 tablespoons Margarine
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon bread improver
760 grams white flour
2 teaspoons yeast

I set the bread machine on the dough setting....

then I punched the dough down...and halved it.....then weigh it to make sure it is even......
then divided each half into 5..(to suit our family).....then weigh it to make sure it is even......
each tenth piece then got halved again...and weighed again.......


This makes sure that each roll is very similar in size after rising.......and no fighting...lol
then placed slightly apart on lined baking tray....and covered with plastic wrap....



Then placed in a warm area....because of the heavy rain since we got back home...I have washing TRYING to dry near the heater....so the tray got put on the clotheshorse....
and it worked very nicely.....




I then glazed them all with milk and sprinkled them with Chia seed and sesame seeds.....


Into the oven for about 20minutes on 180c....although I didn't time them....


Fresh and hot out of the oven, they got glazed with milk again....


Sorry, but I do have to blow my own trumpet...These are the best rolls I have ever tasted...soooo light and fluffy...with a lovely soft crust which I like....and a mild tang you get from the Kefir milk.

Next time I will halve the amount of sugar I used....and I will double the time for my Kefir Milk fermentation to 48 hours...

It can only get better from here.....oh and half of them are gone already...I don't think any of these will make it to the freezer.

Are you baking this weekend?
If so, leave a comment about it...
even better; leave a link to your blog about it.

12 comments:

  1. Wow Nelly Mary they look wonderful. Sorry for showing my ignorance but what is Kefir and would it be available in the UK? I too have a lot of pain issues and where I can rather than take medication I use food to help ease the problems. I am relatively new to your blog and still have a lot of reading to do.

    Love your blog by the way

    Pattypan
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pattypan: Thanks, they taste wonderful too....I hadn't heard of Kefir until I joined the blogging world, so don't worry....It's a live culture which you grow....with many probiotics and other good minerals, the Kefir are called grains, but they look more like little delicate jelly gems...I'm sure you can get the Kefir grains in the UK...You can get milk grains as well as water grains....

    check out Dom's website ...
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir-faq.html#links

    which is the mecca of Kefir information.....If you like sourdough....then the milk ones are great....I am also using the sugar grains..or water grains I know them as....to replace fizzy drinks in my diet....
    Thanks for reading my blog...I love receiving comments, questions and ideas...so feel free ...
    I hope you find some interesting things to try.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have what might be a silly question....What's bread improver? Is it gluten? Thanks, these rolls look fantastic.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoooooohhhh, those look yummy and SO tender! I must get some kefir grains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look scrumptious!
    Thanks for the link to Dom's site. I'll be checking that out next. :)

    I've just finished hauling out the last 25kg bag of whole wheat I have had in storage, ready to make some more wholewheat bread. Homemade pizzas for dinner sound yummy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi
    wow that looks gorgeous!!!!!!!!!
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I made some of these last night and they were great. I made them as I had some buttermilk I had that needed to be used and it was certainly a good use for it. I have been making the 5 min a day bread for a while now which is has a really crunchy crust and is quite dense. It is great, but these soft rolls make a lovely change.
    Thanks for the recipe,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. HollyG: Not a silly question at all...the only silly questions are the ones that are NOT asked....bread improver helps to improve the gluten function of your bread
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_improver

    Little Home in the Country: Hi Sherrie, If you were more local I could send you some Kefir grains soon...My kefir milk grains are starting to accumulate....but try and source some...it is such a versatile product.

    alecat: There is a wealth of information Dom's site..although a bit mind boggling at first...but I went back over some of his notes the other day, and have improved my Kefir milk heaps...so it's well worth the read.
    I am looking to source whole wheat from a local farmer I think it will be a huge savings in the long term.

    Regina: Thanks, and welcome to the world of blogging....looking forward to more posts from your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Emily: Great use for buttermilk Yes indeed!.I'm not a huge fan of a really crunchy crust, and these rolls are totally opposite to that...thanks for trying my recipe...I haven't had a go at the 5 minutes a day bread yet...

    Are you the Emily I did a cheese course with by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nellymary,
    yes, I'm that Emily. I used to be able to comment as me but it only seems to be working as anonymous now.

    Graham is running another course down here in Nov, which I am looking forward to (he gives me a free spot for helping him out with things at this end).

    I love the 5 min a day bread, such nice bread, and no kneeding! If you want to try it, let me know and I can pass on the recipe.
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emily...good to see you back from UK....sorry but your seedlings didn't survive...I heard Graham is doing another course, but I don't think I will be able to afford it this time...I've booked myself in to do a gardening course for twelve months too....
    I haven't had a go at the 5 minutes a day bread yet....I'm about to start on sourdough though...in for another adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wondering if the Kefir's 'good bacteria' get's 'killed off' in the heating process, I wonder???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...