WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Silverside - Corned Beef

Cooking a piece of Corned meat is not as daunting as you may think....I love Silverside....and if I knew how to pickle it myself, I'd probably have a go....but in this case I leave it to the experts....
When you get it home...and read the cooking instructions on the label....Ignore them!...


Sure it doesn't hurt to follow them, but I can tell you that cooking it the way I do.....the way my Nan used to cook it....is far better and much more yummy.
If you talk to many of the older cooks in your family you will probably find that this is the ONLY way to cook a piece of Corned Beef.  

Once you have a piece of Corned Silverside.....you will need to add the following:

about 1 teaspoon of whole cloves
2 tablespoons of brown vinegar
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 carrot cut into inch pieces
1 onion cut into 4...no need to peel it

I also added some tops off a celery that I had put in the fridge...and some bulky bits from a cauliflower....you don't need to source these though..it's just that I had them at the time..

Cover with water, place lid on crock-pot and cook on high in a crock-pot allowing 1 hour for every kilogram of meat.

These veg are for flavour only...
Cook your vegetables separately the way you like.


Now, after carving what you need for the evening meal...the secret is storing the leftovers in the cooking liquor overnight...(on the bench) allowing it to cool and soak in the liquor makes the leftover meat delicious sliced as cold meat.....I hope next time you cook a piece of Corned Beef, you will try cooking it this way...You won't regret it...Oh if you do...you have to come back and tell us ....I would love to hear all about.

11 comments:

  1. Oh YES! I do mine exactly this way! I have never even read the instructions on the packet.
    Have you ever tried Corning your own Beef? I have just bought a new Preserving Book with a recipe for Salted Beef, I presume this is kind of the same! :) Enjoy, Looks good enough to Eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe, hubby asked for some corned beef only the other day, so I might try your way very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMM you cook it just like I do, the good old fashioned way. Doesn't it taste so good this way.. and tender. We love it with mashed carrots and parsnips and maybe a little white sauce..

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love corned beef sandwiches on rye, but I've never learned how to make corned beef, so I'll give that a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are having corned beef today and using your recipe, looking forward to tea tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gooseberry Jam: Until the other day, I hadn't read the instructions on the bag either...It was only out of curiosity that I did....I have never tried to corn my own meat...I leave that up to the experts....but when I have more space I have always wanted to do my own parma ham....

    WendyB: It sure is good isn't it! love the idea of mashed carrots and parsnips...will have to try that one...Thanks!

    Tania: Hope your corned beef turned out yummy and your family liked it too....come back and tell us what they all thought of it

    Little Home in the Country: Hi Sherrie, once you cook it like this, you will need to have it all the time, it's so good. Remember to soak any leftovers in the cooking liquor overnight for cold meat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I add orangejuice as well and the flavour is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Orange Juice sounds delicious. A nice spin with those spices. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I tried this last week, perfecto! I'd only tried cooking corned beef twice before and it was awful, but this recipe is not only easy but it works! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that the recipe has worked for you. It's really delicious isn't it. Happy corned beefing...lol

      Delete
  9. Instead of using brown sugar, add the skins off a pineapple and let them all simmer with the corned beef. It is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...