WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Friday, June 24, 2011

On my mind...

This is a Friday photo feature that anyone with a blog can join. It opens the  door to us sharing our lives through these photos and gives us all a new way to discover each other, and maybe form new friendships. Your photo should show something at home that you're thinking about TODAY. If you're in another country you should join in when you read this, even if it's still Thursday.

To take part, all you have to do is post a photo on your own blog, write a short caption explaining it, and link it back to here. Please write a new post, don't link to an older one. When your photo is published, come back and add a comment below, with a link to your blog photo so we can all find you. Please visit all the blogs that appeal to you and leave a comment. Slow down, take the time to cruise around and enjoy your cyber visits.

On my mind today, is the lovely doily's I saved from an op-shop yesterday....I plan to make these into jug covers by attaching beads to the edges...I can do a crochet chain...but I'm still not sure exactly how to attach the beads....I'll probably have a go over the weekend...


My favourite would have to be either the table runner on the side....or the one in front with the pink violets around the edges....this one doesn't need anything doing to it....I'ts lovely just as it is.

Why don't you join in...What's on your mind?

14 comments:

  1. You thread ALL the beads you need onto your thread first and then as you get to each location you want a bead you crochet around the bead. As you work along you will push unused beads ahead of you... golly I hope that makes sense. I LOVE the doilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so pretty! What a great find. I've made a few doilies into jug covers, they work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few weeks ago I 'discovered' an embroidered doily at an op-shop that's the perfect size for my jug. It has a heavy crocheted edge but I still want to add beads to it so you've managed to answer a question of mine also. Thank you and looking forward to see how your crochet edging progresses on your lovely doilies.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,off topic to your pretty doilies. I was looking back through your posts and saw you'd mentioned making sour dough from your left over kefir milk....would you mind talking about what you did.

    I buy kefir from a local woman who makes it and sells at the local farmer's market, I love it, but am interested in how you make your sour dough with it.

    Thanks, great blog, by the way..........Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love doily's and have them under most everything sitting on cabinets and the like.. may favourite are like yours, those crochet ones, and I can imagine them being made by work worn hands after a long day. You inspire me to find more op shops than Vinnies up the road :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blast, I have been thinking about all the doily's I have stashed away that my MIL has given me. I've got a few ideas on what I want to do with them to. Now you have motivated me to dig deep, find them, I'm sure they need a good soak and then another project to keep me busy.
    Good luck with your project.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nelly Mary. Just popping over from Rhonda's blog and also to say that I love doillies and have all my Nanna's and most of my Mum's she made when she was quite young. I've crocheted a few too. They're so good for collecting the dust and they're so pretty. Love those pretty ones you found.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love these they look just like my Grandmother used to make, I unfortunately never learned the skills. I think you found something special. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky: Thanks for the instruction...I'm determined to work it out.
    Rhonda: I'm looking forward to having some jug covers.
    Stitchin' time: You're welcome Robyn, I'm looking forward to seeing them too.
    Nanette: This is the first time I have used Kefir, and it is not the genuine grains, but the freeze dried version....Dom has an excellent site and many interesting blogs involving Kefir and other exciting cultures....check him out...this is where I am getting my Kefir Bread recipe from:
    http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir_cheese.html
    Wendy: I looked in a few op-shops to find these, some just want too much money for them, but these were in my budget.
    Chris: Yes, get them out and use them, they were made to be admired and enjoyed.
    Anne: another good reason to have them, yep, collecting the dust....maybe I should get more...lol
    Buttons: They sure are special...and they will stay in my family for many years now and be enjoyed and used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great find and they'll be pretty and practical! Good luck with adding the beads it will probably be easy once you get started. I've enjoyed checking out you blog. I have blueberries on my mind today. Hope you'll drop by for a visit.
    http://watchingovertheheartandhome.blogspot.com/2011/06/on-my-mind-beautiful-blueberries.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a find! I love the embroidered one... the colours of it!
    I'm not a doily person myself, I like my household to be no-nonsense (probably because I'm bad at cleaning), but I love looking at them, and admire the people who can make them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi NellyMary, I love the doilies too. I went mad on them a few years ago and made a quilt with them. Well made panels of crazy patch using doilies and old lace collars and one of my mums wedding gloves, (my sister has the other on her doily quilt) and then sewed them all together. A friend made a huge queen bed quilt all covered in doilies, looks wonderful. I will put a picture on my blog.
    Dayla

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry ladies, I thought I had gotten back here and replied...but here goes....

    Patti Bee: Sadly, I haven't gotten around to adding any beads to them, but I am still using them anyway.

    Hanna: I'm with you in admiring the people who can do this handywork..there are some very talented people in the world.

    Dayla: I love your idea of recycling them into a quilt...Brilliant way of keeping them alive. I think the quilt would be very elegant...can't wait to check it out....Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very appreciated for this blog. It's a useful theme. It causes me especially to take care of and certain issues. Its End of lease cleaning Redfern | Bond cleaning Zetland | End of lease cleaning Sydney chance is so awesome and working style so quick. I figure it might help every one of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...