WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Clean Oven, LSA Bread & new Vinegars

Yesterday I set myself a challenge. There has been a lot of chat on the Down to Earth forum about keeping your oven clean.....Realising after many comments that this is one of those taboo cleaning projects that needs to be done in many a household...I decided to give it go....
I am proud to say that my oven is almost clean....I have done the door and the base which was very hard with lots of baked on grime...so I guess the worst is over....Using only Baking Soda and a spray bottle with Vinegar...I tackled the job, while sitting on a milk-crate (much easier).
I bought oven liners a few months back and had to go looking for them, I did buy them with good intentions, I just thought they would be used a bit sooner than this...Oh well, better late than never...lol.






I just need to clean the racks and the sides now, but I had bread to go in the oven soon, and I think it will be better for my aches if I break up the job over a few days and not necessarily consecutive days either...lol.

***********************************************************
I am almost out of flour, last time I needed to buy flour I couldn't get to my usual outlet, so I settled for the 5kg from Supermarket...which was $9.90 for the 5kg.....I'm pleased to say that I recently seen a 10kg bag for the same price at my local greengrocer, and I asked if it was going to be a regular item, which the told me it will.....so here is what I used last time, and here is the new bag of flour which I will be using in the future,
5kg $9.95

10kg $9.95
************************************
Ground Soy, Linseed & Almond (LSA) bread and rolls.

Weighing the rolls, so they all turn out the same size.
 
Ta Dahhhhh!
The loaf will go in the freezer, and we have rolls for two nights...Yumm!


************************************

I recently mentioned to someone that I put down some more vinegars....I had bought some cheap fruit before leaving for Canberra, and with all the excitement of such a trip with such short notice; I forgot about the fruit...I found it all still sitting on the table on the back verandah, still in plastic bags :(...so vinegars it is! ....
Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey Dew Melon Vinegar, and Fruit Salad Vinegar.   I picked these jars up at the local cheap shop, for $3.95...Total bargain, as they are much larger than any others I have........I emptied both my citrus cleaners into one jar, and still have room for more peels...So it's all good from here. 


************************************
Today I have lots to do...for starters I need to put all those dishes away that I used and washed yesterday...then plan for tonights dinner...make up some printouts for my MM's so they can work out all my new recycling rules....lol.............I have more to do...but I'll write about that as I go....Oh a few challenges to come........

9 comments:

  1. I so want to join you Nelly Mary in cleaning my oven and washing machine. It seems like they're both always being used not giving me a chance to clean them. I'll try to get onto it in the next couple of days. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne....along with me, we can both benefit from these challenges....done most of my Washing machine today....but there are spots I have missed on the oven and the washing machine...so I will get to them in the next few days too...then bring on the sunglasses......Oh the Glare....the glare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Narelle, Soak your oven racks in the laundry tub with Napisan over night if they have really tough built up grime it will wipe away easy peasy. I'll see if I can find an ancient blog post I did about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for idea Tammy I should have thought of this, as I use a small scoop of my washing powder to clean the dehydrator trays in the laundry sink....Thanks for jogging the old memory box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your oven came up pretty good using no chemicals. A hard job when they are dirty.

    I have a flat baking tray in the bottom of my oven and this keeps it clean. Should anything spill I just wash the tray. I have got into the habit of regularly wiping over the oven when it has been used and still quite warm. I am lucky though because my oven in at a good working height, not low down. It is so much easier just to wipe down without having to get on the floor...

    ReplyDelete
  6. After we moved in this place the tenants before put a piece of plastic over the burners in the oven and not seeing it I lit the oven and the plastic started to smoulder. It took me nearly 4 months to get the black soot out of the oven and the wals of the kitchen.
    Ever since then I wipe out the oven every time I use it so it stays very clean I give it a top up clean with bicarb and spray vinegar on it and wipe it out with a soft cloth.
    The washer I used a cloth soaked in vinegar to waip out the bowl and rubbers.Plus I use Vinegar for the final rinse.
    I also clean out my dishwasher once a month with a cup of vinegar and citrus acid
    its cheap and keeps the machines going

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tania: I still need to get into that regular cleaning habit though....but I'm trying which is the main thing...I wish my oven was on the bench...it would be so much easier for cleaning.

    Anon: I'm glad to hear you finally got rid of all the black soot...I like your way of cleaning the dishwasher too...thanks for sharing that one....I'm in the middle of trying to source Citric Acid in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get Citric acid in 1kg bags at the brew shop for about $15

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleansing the glass window on an oven doorway is a little bit a lot more hard since people need to have to be watchful that the cleaning option does not leak in amongst the two glass panels. If baking soda will get in amongst the glass, it can go away unpleasant white colored streaks.


    Oven Cleaners GoldCoast
    BBQ Cleaners Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...