WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bokashi Powder - Part 1

I recently completed a FREE course run by my local council on how to make your own Bokashi Powder...
I wrote about it here, along with the recipe and details on how to make it...

So first of all, you need to prepare your lactic acid...this is very easy..


HOW TO OBTAIN LACTIC ACID 
  • 2 cups of White Rice
  • Wheat Bran 
  • Water
1. Let water that has come from rinsing white rice (homebrand) sit for 5 days until it smells sour.



2. Mix some rice bran or wheat bran with the sour water and leave to float to the surface.

adding wheat bran to the rice water
before stirring

Now to wait for the bran to float

3. Remove floating bran or wheat. The Remaining Liquid is the LACTIC ACID. 
So once the bran floats to the surface, I will strain this and keep the liquid for the next stage in making my own Bokashi Powder.
So you will need to check back in to see the different stages as I do them.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting the bokashi recipe on-line - I am definately going to try it once I have got all the ingredients together. Great blog, jam packed with useful tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny.....if your getting close to having them all, you will be able to start ahead of time, as each step needs its own maturing time.
    Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing because I STILL can' figure out what this powder does for you! I searched the web on "what is bokashi powder' I can see that it has enzymes and micronutrients, but apparently everybody in the world knows what is for, except me. Is it something that people in Australia eat and Californians don't know about yet? Is it like vegamite- we don't know what to do with it (or probably how to spell it)

    Maybe good for holiday presents. When people ask me what it is, I will look down my nose and say YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT BOKASHI POWDER IS? I just can't BELIEVE that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel, so sorry for the confusion...Bokashi is a Japanese method for breaking down all your food waste, including meat, breads, bones, cooked and raw food scraps tooo....
    I wrote about making a Bokashi bucket here:
    http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com/2011/02/bokashi-bucket-made-at-home.html

    I also wrote about the first time I got Bokashi juice which is an excellent fertiliser called Bokashi tea, to dilute and put on your veg garden....it also is a great environmentally friendly way of cleaning your sink pipes.
    Wrote about that here:
    http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com/2011/02/bokashi-tea-8-days-later.html

    I also wrote about the first time I buried the waste from the Bokashi bucket here:
    http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com/2011/03/rendering-fat-bokashi-burial-oops.html

    I have another photo of a burial but I haven't posted it yet and I don't think I can do it via a comment...
    Hope that helps clear up the confusion....
    Oh and Vegemite...It's a yummy beef extract spread for toast...I love it...!..lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...