WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blurry photos - Yay!

Since blogging, I have been admiring the lovely photographic skills of many fellow bloggers.....I like the blurred background effect that many bloggers have used...It seems it is not a skill or effect that my computer nor camera can achieve......Until today......Yayyyyy! I am no photographer...I have no knowledge of apertures or shutter speeds.....but I do know what looks nice in a photograph.....and on rare occasions I achieve just that; something nice!  

With the convenience of the internet....I downloaded another copy of my camera's manual....and after searching and reading...and taking lots of photos of my hand...it was finally time to venture outside with all my newly learnt knowledge.....If I could only remember it all once I got in the garden, that would be great.

I did it!

Choko flowers, although I don't think I will get another crop,
with colder nights I am finding little teeny choko's falling on the ground by morning.

Aloe Vera flower

Chinese Water Chestnuts starting to show their new shoots.

More Chinese Water Chestnuts peeking through
along with Peppermint saying hello

Can you see the root system on the Ferny Azolla

I must say; I had fun seeing how close I could get to the fernia-azola....Tomorrow I need to drain some water out of the water garden (the old laundry sink) and drill an overflow hole in the side. With each rainfall, I am finding small pieces of the azola on the pavers, being washed out of the water garden...I have been collecting them when I see them on the ground and putting them in another rain-filled bucket. The water garden is overflowing and becoming very crowded....I will need to work on building another water garden soon....... but for now.........

While I have the drill out, I also need to do the following:

  • Drill some drainage holes in 3 new pots for the front garden.
  • Drill and plug some hanging hooks in the brick work on the front veranda so I can hang some items up.
  • Build a scooter so I can get under the unit easier to harvest mushrooms in the cold weather.

When I get out the power tools, I try to have a list of things that need to be finished....Often I feel like I am putting away every power tool and accessory we own....but that's only because I get right into it and usually ending up doing a whole lot more than what's on my list.

I guess I have some work to do tomorrow....but I'm onto it already with work clothes soaking overnight already in the washing machine....
What's on your to-do list for tomorrow? or today?

6 comments:

  1. You did do it...WELL DONE! Great photos, as with everything, practice makes perfect.

    What have I got on the go tomorrow...first up doctors appointment (good start to the day!)Dreaded windows to start cleaning, washing my floors, do some dusting, might tidy some messy cupboards. That'll do, I am worn out already lol!

    What I dont get done I am sure will wait for me.

    Have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I have yet to make the time to READ the manual for my cameras and really TRY to do something other than point and shoot. Embarrassing... good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main thing I have to do today is keep warm!

    Narelle that effect you are after is in your macro setting. Find your menu on your camera and keep pressing until you find macro or an icon of a flower or something else small.

    Well done on getting the effect you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tania, I dread cleaning windows too...usually in the school holidays when it's warmer I get the boys to do the outside with a long bucket so the broom fits in the soapy water, then they hose the window down with tank water...I do the inside...we work as a team and get them all done in one day....but it's a big day....

    Sherrie, another beauty of me working this out, is that I am not up for a new camera....which I thought I was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've taken photos since I was a kid but the move from 35mm film to digital is proving interesting. Took me a while to sort out blurry photos and now I'm trying to achieve bokeh photos but with a digital it wants to do 'perfectly' focussed photos and won't 'spangle' the backgrounds for me. I'll keep trying though.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blur background Photo Editor & Shape Blur Background Effect on Photo effective blurry background app to give your picture DSLR blur effect. Select a photo from your mobile gallery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...