WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pineapple Sage Cordial

It's that time of year when the Pineapple Sage is reaching for the sky...towering over every other herb in the garden....I met for the first time yesterday, a lovely lady who I have known for quite some time....I finally met Sonia...my Freecycle friend. Sonia is a lovely person with lots of enthusiasm....Walking around her garden with her she was so keen to offer me any cuttings I would like....After lots of hunting and digging, I came away with lots of plants to add to my garden....including a huge bunch of flowering Pineapple Sage.

I'm sorry, but I didn't take a photo of the bunches, but this is what I did with it....
I separated the leaves from the stalks and they are drying in the shed...I also kept the flowers, to make Pineapple Sage Cordial.

PINEAPPLE SAGE CORDIAL
1 Cup of Pineapple Sage Flowers
3 cups of water
3 cups of sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons of tartaric acid

In a saucepan, add the water and sugar, and heat until sugar is dissolved.


Add the flowers and lemon juice and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes....Stir the mix then add the tartaric acid.


Now strain in a colander over a cotton cloth

...bottle and keep in the fridge...



Will store well for 2 to 3 weeks.

Dilute with water before drinking. Serve to your friends when they come visiting. They will certainly be impressed.

For diluting amounts..It comes down to ones own taste. I personally like 1 cup of water to 40mls of cordial...
Serve with ice, and you will be reminded of the lovely summer days.
Oh so quick, and Oh so yummy.

8 comments:

  1. You are so resourceful! Good job :) I bet that tastes really yummy. How's your head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh thanks mum of 5.....just read your blog too, sounds like an exciting time in your life....keep up the good work on your stockpile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous colour, I grow ordinary sage, but after seeing the colour I might see if I can buy a pineapple sage plant. I just love the blogging world to share ideas its so great, so many talented people out there, you are definitely one of them ...
    Sherrie from Simpleliving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherrie you will love the aroma of the Pineapple Sage leaves....I also have a young plant of Fruit Salad Sage too....when that grows up, I will make the same cordial and enjoy the difference....I only use these flavoured sage plants in drinks, not quite like the original sage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds lovely and would be so nice to drink......love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, it is...it just tastes of summer..very refreshing too over ice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can one buy pinapple sage plants or fruit salad sage?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do you add tartaric acid to the recipe? Is it essential?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...